Finally finished my service hours, now I’ve rounded out the 150 hours of CAS!!
To accomplish this, I helped teachers reorganize and decorate their classrooms (adding some things that I knew would get students more engaged in reading) and wrote book reviews for high-schoolers who have difficulty finding books that interest them.
Planned and initiated activities
- What was your organizational process? I initially set up a plan for reviews, but I found I couldn’t stick to it. I’d find a new book somewhere, and immediately would want to write about it.
- What did you learn about planning and initiating activities? Was it easy? Difficult? It was a bit difficult to stick to a schedule, especially since it takes different lengths of time to read different books. Reorganizing the room was a fairly easy timeframe (9-1, usually), it was more a matter of finding the time.
Showed perseverance and commitment in activities
- Was perseverance or commitment difficult? Why? A bit, I would get bored of the projects and fall out of interest, but the thought of seeing them complete and looking amazing and helping students really motivated me (that, and any excuse to use my label maker).
- Why is showing perseverance and commitment important? Perserverance is the only reason you get out of bed in the morning. Perserverance is necessary to get through life. If you don’t have perserverance or the ability to stick to your guns, then you’ll never get anything done.
Developed new skills
- What new skills did you learn? I learned how to use a label maker and a spray paint / glue hybrid. I also learned a lot about faculty members, who would stop by and say hi sometimes. I also learned more about the world around me by communicating with other blogs.
- How could this skill be useful to you in the future? If not only for the bragging rights of saying I know people from almost fifteen different countries, these skills are useful for getting along in the real world. I’ll have to use these again in my life, undoubtedly.
- How does this new skill make you feel about yourself? Very good, I’m very happy to talk to people from different countries who have different viewpoints than I on certain topics. It’s always interesting.
- Why is it important to learn new skills? So that you become a better person than you were yesterday.